Monday, September 17, 2007

Johnson Chapter 6

In chapter 6 of Privilege, Power, and Difference, Allan Johnson presents the concept of social systems and our participation in them. He sums up his argument by stating that people are generally inclined to follow a path of least resistance, and not make the difficult effort to reach out and try to understand others who are generally not like us.

Johnson starts the chapter stating that we use the concept of individualism as a driver of comfort or the lack of comfort that keeps us from talking out our differences. He goes so far as to say at the bottom of page 77 that individualism blinds us to the presence of privilege, because privilege is exclusive to groups and not to the individual. He provides a nice graph on page 79 that illustrates how individuals participating in the social system are shaped by the social system and the individual makes the social system happen. This dynamic centers around the issue of privilege. People inadvertently are drawn to people who remind them of themselves, and do not always realize they are inadvertently excluding those who are not like them. Johnson states that this is the path of least resistance. People in general will choose the path of least resistance instead of reaching out to those who are not like them and thus breaking the circle. Johnson likens the whole cycle to a big game of Monopoly.

The Monopoly example is really effective in making his point about people behaving in a manner that benefits them first. Who hasn’t played Monopoly? Who hasn’t gotten caught up in the game and treated everyone else poorly simply because that is how the game is played? Johnson hits the nail on the head; we sometimes do not even know we are perpetuating privilege and its ugly cousin oppression. The game continues on and if we take the path of least resistance it will not stop. The connection can be made to the Oscar Arredondo “Welcome to Cleveland” piece. I can say that I have seen the Indians logo so many times, but I was caught up in the cycle and was unable to see it for what it is to Native Americans. The logo to me was just a smiling cartoon character that represents a baseball team but it was something very different to Arredondo. I took the path of least resistance and didn’t stop to ask the tough questions. I watched the Michigan vs. Notre Dame football game this weekend and I asked myself why people have not gotten upset about the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. The name as well as the logo perpetuates racial stereotypes. I think I will cover this item more in a Media Portfolio item.

I really thought the chapter was insightful and fascinating. Johnson appeals to my analytical side and gives me plenty to chew on. The circular nature of individuals and groups is very effective and must have been difficult for him to quantify. I was particularly drawn to the section that entreated us to stop taking the path of least resistance and reach out to those who are different. I like the positive connotations in his sentiment, because I feel that people in general are positive and good at heart.

No comments: